Tuesday, October 23, 2012

had to give up

I was reading the book "Bury Me Standing" by Isabel Fonseca.  It is about the persecution of gypsys in Central Europe of the 1990's.   I became interested in the subject when I went on the cruise of Italy and Greece a couple of years ago.  But I have to admit defeat.  Not that the book was boring or difficult reading, but the subject, I could feel was changing me.  Human Beings are capable of such  horrible behaviour and attitudes..  I don't know how else to put it, the 'human condition' is not noble.  I am starting to be so disgusted.  We are capable of such wrong doing and then justifying it.  I am 2/3 of the way through it, and just cannot read another word.  I was shocked that people are being killed/burned out of their homes in the 1990's...we aren't talking a hundred years ago.  And I don't think it has changed.  Our kids have a foreign exchange student, a 15 year old from Germany, who has made comments about 'Turks and Gypsies" that reflect a deep seated prejudice.

Is there a cure?   Is it Christianity, that teaches us "red, brown, yellow, black and white...they are precious in his sight?".   Is it the 'melting pot' attitude that the United States used to have.  I know, its changed to a multi-cultural 'salad'.  But wasn't the melting pot good?  The attitude that we were all Americans first.   I dunno.  I am just so disturbed by what I am reading...and seeing.

a few months ago, I read "The Warmth of Other Suns" and it was equally disturbing...but not as hopeless.

so, I've started a new Susanna Kearsley book...something I know I'll enjoy and something a whole lot lighter.

been working on ATC's, and have been  R E A L L Y  stumped...oh my, gotta go concentrate on them.

looking forward to the last installment of Breaking Dawn, cannot wait, don't know who I will be able to get to go with me...oh, and the commercials for Red Dawn...  Time to take care of some chores!

No comments: