Monday, June 11, 2018

1..2..3..deep breath and jump!!!

So, MJM and I are embarking on a new adventure this month.   A 28 day eating challenge.   (omg, omg,omg,..can I do this?)

backstory, my kids are very conscience of their eating habits.  DD with 2 toddler boys is very creative in getting veggies in her meals (one example she boils cauliflower in chicken broth and uses it instead of sour cream in her sour cream chicken enchilada recipe)  DS and family have been primarily Vegan for a while...not 100%, think they allow themselves a 'cheat', every now and then.  AND though he is quiet about this with others, he's been a preachin' it to his parents for a while now.  Sending articles and podcasts and brings 'plant strong' into every conversation.  So, for my birthday I asked him to send me Rip Esselstyn's Engine 2 Diet book. (he was one of the podcasts I did listen to) .  

So, Okay, today, MJM and I are going to start the 28 day challenge.  (fire cadet style)

The first step is to get rid of dairy and processed/refined....okay.

Cheese is my lifeline...I LOVE cheese...so the thought of not eating cheese is simply killing me...but I can do it for 28 days.   (you bet I'll be counting)

sidenote,  at church there was an announcement of LifeLine screening coming out on July 11.  Something dh and I have been thinking of doing.   Soooooo, I guess this can be seen as verification that we need to start paying attention and taking this step.  They also have a 'healthy living' support group that meets....hmmmmmmmm

Over the weekend, I've been clearing the cabinet and fridge of contraband foods.   Bagging the unopened cabinet foods, to hopefully donate.   Did put the refrigerated unopened in the garage fridge...those that won't expire before July....and tossed the opened.    siiiiiigh, including the leftover cannoli from Saturday's visit to Johnny's Ristorante Italiano  (our fave restarant so far)(we take all visitors there)

This morning we had rolled oats (old fashioned, not packaged)  ground flaxseed with blueberries and bananas for me.  Can I say that rolled oats taste like wet sawdust.  Thank goodness for that banana!

So, one step at a time.   Figured I would blog this journey in the hopes that writing it down will make me accountable!  ha!  

Our goals, we will reassess after the 28 days.  I do not see us becoming full blown Vegans....but I think cutting our meat and having more vegetables is a good goal.  So, this will force me to try out all the meat alternatives (already have tempeh in the fridge)  and be more creative....that will be a good thing.  

And of course, I am curious about any health benefits.   More fruits and veggies won't be a bad thing.




No comments: