Wednesday, July 4, 2012

P.I.P

Last night we finished a li'l Bible Study that my friend, Janelle hosted at her house. A study on The Forgotten God by Francis Chan (excellent, by the way). My dd mentioned that at one point she had a P.I.P (personal improvement plan) I laughed a bit, because just saying something like this is soooooooo like her dad... BUT she did get me thinking.

When I was having weight loss success, it was when I was following a written plan and had the discipline to keep it up daily. In the beginning it was just writing success on the five small changes. No Soda, No sweets, No meat, 20 min exercise, water intake. Just seeing those NO's on a sheet of paper was inspiring in itself, that I could do this. One reason I've been on this plateau is I've lost that discipline. Just now going back to logging my calories on Spark in the morning. I find if I do this, I stick better to my planned food (oh, you're already at goal, cannot afford that treat)

 So, I have experience and success with the lifestyle change (weight loss) P.I.P

 So, what can be done for a Spiritual Growth P.I.P

 there is the obvious, more time in the word and praying...but how often do we as Christians say we are going to do that? It's like the book said, so many of us invite Christ to be a part of what we are doing instead of looking to be a part of what He is doing.(my take on the concept) Keep our lives comfortable but give us salvation....hmmm,

 And of course, there is the Christian dilemma "what does He want us to do with our lives" "what is the grand scheme?" and so many of us are 'waiting' to have it revealed to us....

 One of the questions last night was "What would you look like if the Spirit was working in you" (again, my words, not verbatim) I think I would be a friendlier person. I am so introverted and non-social...I think I want to look more like a Mimi or a Terry (women I know who exude a welcoming, loving, friendly Spirit) So, if that is what I think that is the change I would see, what are P.I.P steps?

 Yes, add daily Bible reading. After all, this is our 'fuel source' much like breakfast gets our metabolism buring.

Yes, Prayer time...lifting others up will give me God's heart for them Continue in a Bible Study, our Pastor just started a study on the book of Acts. So after a study being challenged to live in the Spirit, we have a study on the Spirit...yay! This will also get me out of the house and interacting with others...yikes...something I haven't done in a while.

 So, what is the 'step out of your comfort zone' goals for me, the P.I.P? Make it a point to just say hello to someone I don't know? To start conversations with co-workers? To ask the 'new guy' to move to our table at lunch? I guess instead of waiting for the big 'reveal'..I'll take these baby steps and see where the Spirit leads.

Ya'll  have a happy and safe 4th!!

No comments: