Tuesday, November 23, 2010

my dr. appt...

Yesterday, I went to see the doctor for the follow up after my physical/bloodtests/xrays. I may have mentioned that a couple of months ago, I experienced some 'tingly sensations' on my left side.

ANYways, I have a degenerative disc in my spine, think she said #5, sooooo, she said there is no 'aggressive treatment' . The prescription, a set of back exercises every morning ("like brushing your teeth, something you just do every morning") AND a set of set-ups every day ("to strengthen your abdomen and core")

Hmmmmm, so keep exercising!! Good thing, I've come to the point in my journey where I enjoy exercising. So, I'm adding the back exercises to my morning routine...a series of basic stretches; and 20 min of Wii fit yoga at night.

Here is the tmi...for years I've had high cholesterol...I've known it. Pretty much ignored it, but its been in the back of my mind. Back in 2007, I tested at 262..that dr called me a 'walking heart attack'. I did go on Statins, but they left me feeling 'yucky with sticky pooh'...so I dumped them. Decided to bring it down the 'natural way'..uh huh..probably even gained more weight, till I was up to 215 lbs.

Fast forward to my next physical, in 2010...and after losing 35 lbs...down to a cholesterol count of 222!! BUT, my new dr was not so 'impressed'. (at least she did not call me a 'walking heart attack')

She said since this is obviously a long term issue (also genetic as my 90lb mom has high cholesterol) she wants to put me on Lipitor. I told her I want to lose 30 more lbs, but she was unfazed. I explained my issues with the other statin...and why I quit using it. Again, unimpressed. In fact she told me the 'sticky pooh' meant it was working...that it was pulling the fats out of my body and disposing them...OH!!!... oops. So, I'm on Lipitor.

So, I guess the news was not as bad as it could have been. I'm still a pretty healthy almost 50 year old. BUT I do have even more incentive to keep losing.

So, it is the Tuesday before Thanksgiving...and I can DO This!!

So, here's to a healthy Thanksgiving to us all...key word for me, MODERATION!!

(but, I am waiting till after Thanksgiving to go on a veggie-heavy, meatless menu) teehee

No comments: