Thursday, February 10, 2011

thinking about...grandbabies...


As I was showering this morning, I started thinking...

Having been sick this past week, I have not been able to see my little 'boo'. I cannot tell ya'll how much I miss her. And I got up to see this pic on FB; with the caption 'smile for grandma, whatta character'.

What can I say, but I LOVE this pic! I think it shows the 'joy and abandon' of our relationship. We do the 'happy dance' when we see each other. AND it got me thinking, what a gift grandchildren truly are.

More than a phrase we all say, but really think about it. Jesus said, "let the little children come to me" and 'unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven" Matt 18:3. after being asked, who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

I watch how my granddaughter simply embraces life, every experience to her is wonderful. She fully trusts her parents to provide a safe environment. And she lives...and she experiences... Whether it is throwing pillows off the couch, or sliding down the slide over and over and over, dancing to the Wiggles, watching Elmo, learning new words, helping mommy put away the dishes...getting into a push-fest with Allie at the church nursery..she just does. It is all brand new and exciting to her. She hasn't learned the negativity of the world, a world that can be dangerous, a world that will tell her there are ways 'you do not measure up', that there are deadlines and 'have to's' ... There is an innocence in her.

And that is the gift of being a grandparent. We don't have to worry every detail, we can get on our hands and knees and peek around the corner and laugh; we can flop ourselves down on the floor and join her in her tantrum...and yes, even sneak in that spoon full of ice cream. We get to live and see life alongside them. Their parents get to worry the details, we get to enjoy.

During the 'autumn' of our lives, we get to put aside the mantle of responsibility and re-experience 'life' and 'joy' again. To re-experience God's creation through their eyes. (And yes, I know as she gets older, the roles will change. I will have to reinforce rules... yes, I know that...but for now, during this chapter... I am going to be the grandma who does the happy dance).

1 comment:

Janet said...

I love what you wrote and she is a cutie. You are very fortunate to just be grandma to her. We can only be grandparents to six of our eight and have to raise the other two. Sometimes we find a way to be both parent and grandparent but too often.