Sunday, July 3, 2011

1 more book!

yesterday, I finished Rebel With a Cause by Franklin Graham..excellent, by the way. Then read I Dared to Call Him Father by Bilquis Sheikh. Wow. I could not put it down.

I tried the Goodread option of putting my review on the blog, see below.

I have made it a bit of a goal to understand Muslim culture better.
My first book was The Bookseller of Kabul. very good, very eye-opening, but I did not know if I could trust the author's perspective when she told the story from the pov of the women of the family. Was she pouring her western sensibilities into the narrative? I even thought about the personal experiment of wearing a burkha for awhile.

Then, The Face Behind the Mask by Donna Gehrke-White, a series of interviews with women who converted to Islam...from Islam... I found the book 'wanting', I think it would have been better if she had concentrated on one or two women per category. BUT it did start to answer my question as to why an American woman would want to convert to Islam? I love the freedom of being an American, and just cannot understand a woman who would w a n t the personal restrictions associated with Islam.

Then, Prisoners of Hope by Dayna Curry and Heather Mercer...wonderful...to see the people of Afghanistan with the love these girls felt for them. Even during their captivity.

And, I Dared to Call Him Father

Next, Reading Lolita in Iran. That will be in July. As well as The Christian Atheist, as reading I Dared to Call Him Father caused a personal conviction.

BUT, for my #20 book, to hit that goal of reading 20 books during my 6 weeks off from work, I chose Jane Austen's Persuasion. In the past, reading at least one classic during the summer was a goal...so, finishing this one with a classic seems the way to go. I've never read Jane Austen. And lets say that first sentence was a bit intimidating...I had to read it twice! I may not make it within the 6 week time period, but that's okay too.

Also scrapbooked yesterday morning. Worked on my lo for the color class.

No comments: