Wednesday, August 27, 2008

a scare yesterday morning...



This fellow gave me quite a scare yesterday morning. As I was geting ready for work, making my lunch, one minute, he was begging for a piece of roast beef and then the next he was dragging himself across the kitchen floor. I heard a loud noise, and I see him dragging his bottom half across the floor. Like he was paralyzed in the bottom half. I was so scared. So I called our vet, and explained what was going on...she said she had no vets (they were all out on large animal calls) so she referred me to a vet 40 minutes away. Now, by the time I was off the phone with her, Marshall, was standing...shaky but standing.

So, I call the other office and got the next appt. As soon as I am done with the phone call, Marshall is strong. I had to 'catch' him and fight him to go into the carrier...he HATES that carrier.

Marshall is @13 years old, has stopped using his box for pooh, and has been getting skinny. When he first started losing weight, back in March, I took him to the vet for tests. They all look good, no thyroid, kidney, even teeth and gum problems. He's old and skinny but healthy.

So, the vet says cuz he was alert during the incident and recovered so quickly, he really does not think this was neurological. His suspicion is that Marsh injured himself while trying to jump on something...which I have noticed that Marsh does struggle to jump up on the bed and couch. Actually, he doesn't jump anymore, he pulls himself up.

In the space of the visit, the vet called Marsh, senile (the box issue) and stubborn...its like, he sure does know Marsh!! Yup, Marsh is a stinker, but he is family and we love him. I'll continue to cater to his picky eating habits (he only wants people food) (and the vet says at this age, just give it to him) and pick up after him.

4 comments:

A Wonderful World said...

How scary! I'm glad he's alright. I know how tough it is when they get to that age and you start to worry.

Janet said...

Oh, my gosh...that would have scared me to death. So glad it wasn't anything serious. Whew!

Noelia said...

I'm glad to hear that it was just a scare. I would've been freaked out if my cat looked paralyzed from the waist down. He's adorable though and you doing a great job nurturing him.

Sarah Coggins said...

How scary! That happened to Chester after a vet appt once. Turned out to be an allergic reaction to the shots they gave him. It was absolutely terrifying. My heart started racing just reading your post. Glad he's better now.