Monday, June 13, 2011

read 2 books over the weekend,

The first was The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar. I heard about it on the 2 Peas Reading Thread. It was a good book, but not your happy ever after type of book.
The whole book reminded me of Ecclesiastes, "vanity of vanities"...the lives of these 2 women was frustrating. They were painted as victims, victims of their birth, of their society, of poverty or wealth, of racism, of the men (who have power)even of their own bitterness...the next generation was destined to the same.

I guess I just have a completely different worldview. I am glad to be a Christian, as it says in Romans 8:28...we can find meaning/strength/God in any circumstance.

After such a serious read, I needed something light, so I grabbed The Five Things I Cannot Live Without. Another book I heard about on 2 Peas. A couple of years ago, there was a start to a 2 Peas book club, this was one listed as a potential read. But the book club fizzled after the first book. This one is a look at modern-day relationships of women in their late 20's. Not a great book, I found myself telling myself "just finish it" as I was reading it. But I do like the way it ended.

So, that makes 9 books out of the 20 I hope to have read during my 6 weeks off. Speaking of which, Today is the start of week 4...so halfway there!

For my 10th book I've chosen Csardes. I heard of this book from a friend on FB, how much she loves it. I'm hoping its a Gone With The Wind type of book set in Eastern Europe. I could use a grand, sweeping story right now.

Since Thursday the pain has been pretty bad. A dull constant aching on my left side. Yesterday, I broke down and took a pain pill and sat with my book on a heating pad. And I ate...lots of snacking. fritos with cheese, cherries, snappeas, a couple of handfuls of dark chocolate m&m's...just off the top of my head.

Oh well, learn from it and don't repeat it!! that's all we can do, right??

No comments: