Friday, May 30, 2008

a moving quotation

From 2 peas: Find a quotation that moves you and write it down. Why does it move you?

by Jim Elliot (one of the missionaries killed by the Huaorani Indians in Ecuador)
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose"

When I read this years ago in his wife's book , Through Gates of Splendor, it really touched me...and just began the process of putting things in perspective for me. I was the typical young woman, new Christian, caught up in the 'trappings' of the world, though at the time we did not have designer purses and shoes to 'desire'...but other 'brandings' of what made one successful and content.
(note, I think we sure do our children a disservice when we give in and buy a 14 year old a "Coach" purse, for example)(I think that is something they should get when they save/earn for it...but that is another entry)

This quote, this book, stuck with me.

There is also the scripture Mark 8:36 from Jesus, "What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul" And boy, do we see examples of this.
I think of celebrities like Elvis, Michael Jackson and currently Brittany Spears...materially they had/have everything anyone could want/dream of ...but their lives were/are tragic.


So, though I don't have the finances and the stuff. My life is filled with family, friends, faith and furbabies..and I am content.

It's Friday, I love Friday...
not that I sleep in or anything, but I do love not having to go to work.

Sunday, is the 25%off everything coupon at Michaels (but just for 4 hours)...so guess where I hope to be on Sunday...but we'll see.

2 comments:

Creative Junkie said...

I love to read how everyone interprets quotes and applies them to their own lives.

Enjoy your Friday!

Lida said...

I love quotes and your quotes are very interesting, have fun shopping!